Saturday, March 20, 2004

Fake Food For Thought
By LaTonya Taylor

I was sitting at a restaurant with some friends when our waiter came by with a tray of desserts. As the waiter rested the heavy tray of sugary treats against our table, I leaned over to ask a favor of my friend Todd.

"Todd," I whispered, trying to be subtle, "Ask the waiter if that food is real or wax." Todd gave me his you've-got-to-be-kidding look. "C'mon," I pressured him, "I really want to know, but I don't want to ask. You do it. Ask him if it's real or not." After barely suppressing an eye roll, he asked on my behalf. Even though I thought the food might be wax, it was real!

I'm not going to pretend this is normal, but I have always been strangely attracted to fake food. Maybe it comes from making plastic Bacon Lettuce and Tomato sandwiches on my kitchen play set when I was little. Or serving my parents little cups of plastic ice cream topped with shiny plastic cherries. Or frying up delicious cheeseburgers on my toy range. My dolls loved them! Or looking at model homes with my family and marveling at how real those melting "sundaes" looked. Or . . . well, you get the picture. To this day, I am fascinated by fake food—or, as it's called in the fake food industry (yes, there is a fake food industry), "replica food."

I think part of my fascination comes from thinking about how much meticulous, painstaking work goes into making a piece of wax or rubber or plastic or silicone look like a real cake, a loaf of bread, a piece of fruit or a hot dog. It's a long process with several intense steps: matching paint colors, creating molds, pouring the material, and on and on. It's really a lot of work to put into something that just looks good. Something that can't satisfy real hunger. Something that offers no nourishment.

My fake food fascination makes me think of something else: How much work it can take to be spiritually "fake"—that is, to pretend I've got it all together when I haven't. To act like I'm becoming spiritually mature in areas of my life where I'm really just starting to grow. To act like I don't need help when I really need my friends to pray for me, to encourage me, or to hold me accountable for doing the things that result in spiritual growth.

It takes a lot of strength and humility to admit that I am a growing person who makes mistakes along the way. But I've realized lately that being honest with both God and Christian friends helps me grow in my faith. And just like real food provides a satisfying meal, my spiritual honesty ends up being a lot more satisfying and fulfilling than fake faith.

It's not easy, but in the long run, it's better to be who I am and trust that God will use the experiences in my life, both good and bad, to make me who he wants me to be: A real, honest person with nourishing, satisfying faith.

1 Comments:

At September 7, 2007 at 10:44 AM, Blogger Aunt Bubbies Fake Food said...

Aunt Bubbies Kitchen Replica Foods.

Originally We started making Replica Display Food Products for one interior designer.

As word of mouth spread,so did our production and expansion.

We are now proud to have our products used as movie and photographic props,restaurants,retail displays and model homes.

Fake food and display items for all seasons and themes.

Our fake fruits, vegetables, meats, cakes and drinks look realistic enough to eat!

Our fake food catalog is full of fantastic food and display accessories.

Our Fake Food items are The Best you will find on the web!

We Offer a Discount to Businesses with a $100.00 minimum order.

We can offer most of our items in small to extra large lots.

Call or email us for more information.

******************IMPORTANT!*****************

All Fake Foods are Very Realistic, but they are not edible.

Fake Food Items Are for Display Only and are not play food.

Keep out of reasch of pets & children.

Do not let anyone try to eat them.

Buyer assumes all responsibility if items are ingested, misused or mishandled.

By placing an order buyer agrees to these terms.

Broken pieces can be a choking hazard and some materials are harmful if ingested.

Items are made with building materials, various clays, polyurethane, paint & various decorative embellishments.

Fake Foods contain No food ingredients.

Nothing is edible!

Cut and Paste The Link Below:

http://auntbubbiesfakefood.com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home